Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Colonel's Picks for September 25th, 2013

After a week of hiatus, your favorite comic reading Colonel is back with what might be the smallest stack of picks on record! What can I say, at least this week will be a little easier on the ol' wallet. Now while I try and think of a tasteful way to link the Powerpuff Girls and a new comic called Sex Criminals together, you should shoot me a list of your own picks in the comments section of this very page!

Powerpuff Girls #1 (IDW)

Writer/artist Troy Little brings the city of Townsville back to life in this new series and with it, the most terrific trio of kindergarten age superheroes the world had ever known! Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup take on the menace of Mojo Jojo in comic book form. Following the success of titles like My Little Pony, IDW attempts to even further corner the market for young girls. This first issue should fly off the stands, so pick it up (or one of its many variant covers) and keep Ebay and the F5 key handy!

Sex Criminals #1 (Image)

Matt Fraction has been one of the comic industry's most prolific writers of the last few years and a favorite here at CoH headquarters. The diversity of content in his independent work speaks volumes about the man's varied interests and proficiencies, and his work at Marvel just gets better and better. Joining Mr. Fraction on this new project is the enigmatic artist/political figure Chip Zdarsky, another creator who seems to be finding his "voice" in the last few years. Billed as a sex comedy in the vein of The 40 Year-Old Virgin or Bridesmaids, Sex Criminals is about a couple who discover they can stop time just by making love, and proceed to use this ability to rob banks. This could be a lot of fun, or it could crash and burn, but at the very least it will be interesting.

Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. (Marvel)

Nicholas Fury was a hero of mine when I was coming up in the spy game. Yes, long before I delighted you all with my comic book related ramblings, I was a master of espionage in the popped corn industry. In any tight situation, whether it be a gun to my head or an apache helicopter raining lead down on me as I crossed a high-rise rooftop, I always tried to think: what would Nick do? It was painful to me in the 1990's when I learned that my personal idol had been framed for treason and was on the run from his own men. But needless to say, that old war horse got out all right. This week, Marvel re-releases the miniseries containing this epic story arc and if you're in the mood for some classic espionage action, give it a look.

Well, that's a short list but it's a good list folks! Quality over quantity. In the meantime, catch up on all those back issues I know you have piling up and maybe get a little sun before you find yourself completely locked in the throes of winter.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment