Friday, September 20, 2013

Halloween Countdown Day 40 - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Greetings my ghouls and boils, I've got yet another treat to you as we grow ever closer to Halloween. Today, I'll be speaking of a book that helped defined my childhood, a little morbid tome called Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.



Before I read Poe, before Goosebumps was a thing I was aware of, I stumbled upon Alvin Schwartz's trilogy of hair-raisers and urban myths. This was where I was made, this was my first encounter with the macabre and bizarre, and it did leave quite a touch on my impressionable young mind, let me tell you what.

Here is where I feel I cannot go on given an adequate dissertation on Schwartz's book, without also touching on the artwork of Stephen Gammell that graces the pages. In fact, if I had to point out to just why this remains one of the most challenged children's series, I'd say Gammell's art has just as much if not more to do with it than the content of Schwartz's stories.



Using black ink and water, Gammell has made some of the most terrifying illustrations you'll ever have the pleasure of seeing in a book. Grotesque and gruesome? Obvious. But also, somehow strangely magnetic. It is as if Gammell has been to a dark place, taken some very detailed notes, and fleshed the terrifying out in such a manner that you can't help but look at his illustrations and drink in the details.



Unfortunately, the writing in the book just isn't quite as strong as the art work. If you look closely at the sentences and their structure, it is obvious that Schwartz is writing for kids. They are made out simply as can be, and can even be a little anti-climatic for an older reader. But read aloud...performed even, they shine.

Perhaps the neatest part is that Schwartz has included a little bibliography for his stories. It is always nice to dig a little deeper to get to the 'roots' of a folklore tale or see a different telling. When stories are from oral traditions, Schwartz also has a short history including the people involved and areas he found the stories from.

If you've never read Schwartz's book, this is an excellent time and season to rectify that mistake. From Gammell's illustrations to the tidbits of information, this book and the rest in the series are a Halloween must.

Until next time,

Eerie Evan.




No comments:

Post a Comment