Monday, September 16, 2013

Halloween Countdown Day 44 - Mellocreme Pumpkins

Greetings kiddies, today we step away from the usual horror media so that I can pay a special tribute to perhaps one of the more innocuous things about my favorite holiday, a little bite-sized treat that I'm sure you've all seen before.



Today we'll be talking about one of my all time favorite Halloween treats - mellow-creme pumpkins. Not only are they delicious and quite possibly the most addicting substance you can give to kids without the cops getting called on you, but they quite possibly saved Halloween.

You see, since the 1960s, candy makers wanted to get Halloween covered by Daylight Savings Time, so that kiddos would collect more candy. During a series of 1985 congressional hearings on Daylight Savings Time, the candy makers went as far as giving each member of congress sitting in on the hearing a mellow-creme pumpkin on the seat, hoping to gain a little favor. While this didn't work the first time, when the issue came up again in 2005 they finally succeed, Daylight Savings Time was pushed back just long enough to included Halloween.

Will they make you fat if you eat a bagful a day? Probably. But there is a sense of purity in their little cut out shapes. I have a habit of taking a sharpie and drawing Jack-O-Lanterns, like this.



So, if you've never had 'em before, go down to your local store and grab a bag. Trust me, I'm willing to bet my fingers that you can't eat just one!

Until next time, kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment