Saturday, August 31, 2013

Halloween Countdown Day 60 - Monster Cereals Return!

Greetings and salutations my fiendish friends, I come today bearing a message. This is the first of several little notes that I’ll have put up regarding the annual two months of Halloween that I celebrate. Look for movie recommendations, good stories, comic books, and other little treats, tricks and tidbits. I’m always a little disappointed when Halloween rolls by and I have to wait another year for it to come to pass, but you know what they say about absence even making the most putrid of hearts growing fonder, and here, 60 days from The Day, it is coming nearer.

As summer dies down and the winds of autumn begin to blow, things change.

Shadows grow longer, days grow shorter, and pumpkins begin to dot the landscape. The man in the moon’s countenance grows thin more like the rictus grin of a gleaming skull. The clouds catch fire in the sky and the appearance of black cats swell; rats intertwine themselves their tails locking each other into a death spiral, as the world grows darker. Rob Schneider is cast as Lex Luthor in the next Superman movie.   

What do all these grim omens mean you ask? Only that Halloween is upon us! And this Halloween is already chalking up to be a very special one indeed.  As some of you might know, I’m a huge Monster Cereals fan, and amongst the terrible trio of Frankenberry, Count Chocula, and Boo Berry, the little ghost doing his best Peter Lorre impersonation is easily my favorite.

Every year I look forward to the Monster Cereals returning to the shelves, and every year I buy a few more boxes than what I’m going to use so I can enjoy the sweet, sweet, satisfying crunch of eating ghost, pumpkin and bat marshmallow shapes the whole year around. These three are all that remains of a larger line which included Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy, but sometimes the dead just can’t stay dead…

                                                                                           
That’s right! This year, Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy return to the shelves after decades of absence. This would be amazing, even incredible news on its own if it wasn’t for an added treat. 

                                   
 
Holy Haunted Houses! General Mills is releasing all five cereals in a special retro packaging. They’ve worked out a special deal with Target this season so you’ll be able to get the classic boxes there. If you’re spines weren’t already chilling with excitement for the Halloween season, then they certainly ought to be now! As soon as I get my hands on the cereals this year, I’ll be sure to do a taste test and issue a full review of the cereals. Even as I type this, my hands shake and I can scarcely believe it. Every monster cereal is coming back and you can get them in the original packaging! A great treat has been given this Halloween, and it isn't even October yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment